Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Two Weeks Later

It has been two weeks since the accident, and I am feeling the strain and emotional exhaustion while Fred is starting to wake up and be more alert and in less pain. His therapy is going well. He was up and walking the halls for about 15 minutes with a normal stride and looking good. His testing for speech therapy was finished today, and he is doing well. They want to work on his concentration and speed of processing information, but it all seemed like things that can be worked on and improved with time. I have not noticed anything so far that seems like it would be impossible to overcome with time and hard work. The neuropsychologist is looking into Fred being able to sit in on some of the EMT courses at Swedish when he is processing information a little faster. This morning Fred was not as interested in following the safety rules of having someone help him. I can see we are about to enter a new stage of therapy where he might disagree with being here. It is also a good sign that he is starting to heal but doesn't mean he is ready to go home.

Yesterday afternoon was tough. We were all tired, and Kalyn did not take a nap, so the evening only got worse. I was feeling overwhelmed as my to do list kept getting longer and no break from a very needy Kalyn. We went to the grocery store in the afternoon to break it up a little, but by the evening I was spent and just wanted my husband back to normal. Not that I don't have nights like that at home between trainings and meetings and busy schedules, but the two week accumulation was taking its toll on me. I was still feeling that way when I woke up this morning, but seeing Fred doing so well this morning helped lift my spirits. I still believe the universe will not give you more than you can handle, but I do feel like I've come very close to the line of what I can handle many times in the past two weeks. We will still have evenings that are off, and I'll make it through as long as there are positive times between the tough times.

It rained here yesterday afternoon and evening with a dusting of snow overnight. Kalyn is tired today and went right down for her nap, and I was able to get a few things crossed off my list.

Tomorrow is the family conference with all of Fred's doctors and therapists. We will set a goal discharge date for him at that meeting, and I'm assuming we will get a lot of information about where he is at and where we heading. Kalyn and I are coming home for a few days next week which will be very nice, but I am expecting it to be a little difficult to be away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,
    Just want to let you know we've been thinking and praying for Fred and you and Kalyn. It sounds like he has come a long way in a week. You will get through this, too! Take care of yourself. :)
    Jennifer and Andy