Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I just reread what I wrote on Mother's Day to reflect a little and see how far we've come. Wow. All of the emotions are so close to the surface for me. It feels like it has been 6 months not six weeks with all that has happened since then. To realize that on Mother's Day Fred spent most of his time in the wheelchair and was constantly sore and tired and today for Father's Day we spent two hours at the Denver zoo feels like a lot of progress.

We had a lot of fun at the zoo. I was amazed how many animals we saw. My memories of going to the zoo always have the animals you want to see hiding out. We saw giraffes, a peacock with his tail feathers all out, a polar bear, lions, tigers, cheetahs and elephants to name the big ones. Kalyn was only scared by the howler monkeys, and I don't blame her because the sound they made was not very nice. Fred seemed fine going around the zoo. Our roles are a little reversed now because I'm the driver and he's the navigator. We felt lost a few times today on the road, but we figured it out and always got to where we were trying to go. Going through this whole experience has really made me be more aware of when I start to feel overwhelmed with a situation or overstimulated in an environment. Since Fred had a brain injury, he is more likely to not be able to deal with a situation when there is too much going on, but I have noticed myself be the first one to get overwhelmed and need to remove myself. It just makes you realize that multitasking is really hard and usually makes you miss something, brain injury or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment